Gevrey-Chambertin is located eight miles south of Dijon in the Côte de Nuits and is bisected by the famous Route Nationale 74. It is the most northern Grand Cru village within the famous Côte d’Or and holds more Grand Cru sites than any other village in Burgundy. Emperor Napoleon was a Chambertin enthusiast. Claims have been made that he lost the Battle of Waterloo due to the fact that he did not have Chambertin the night before the battle. In 1847 the commune was granted the right to add the name Gevrey to its designation. The vineyards of Gevrey-Chambertin form a ‘T’ shape with the Premier Crus lying to the south and the west toward the Combe de Lavaux. The Premier Cru site of Champeaux, adjacent to Combe aux Moines Premier Cru site, has ideal exposure and is a high elevation, cooler vineyard site, thus the grapes ripen more slowly and are often the last to be harvested in the area. Due to its position, it is resistant to frost.
This wine is ruby-red in color with black fruit and spice on the nose. Balanced in both acidity and tannins, it is both supple and round on the palate with a lengthy finish.